As many people transition to working or staying at home more and more, the need for at-home stress-relieving remedies has risen. For example, long hours sitting in front of the computer can cause physical stress or sore muscles. An efficient way of easing the physical tension is through a therapeutic massage. Unfortunately, a spa is not always accessible at home, and due to that, people nowadays have started using electronic massagers. You can use an electronic massager to relieve sore muscles or body aches after a long day. An effective way of dealing with body aches is by getting an electric massage through Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS). Moreover, iTENS Australia offers the revolutionary iTENS wireless unit for relieving pain with added comfort and mobility. Find out more on TENS therapy and the wireless iTENS device as an electronic massager below.
What is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)?
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, TENS for short, is a form of electrotherapy that employs the use of a TENS machine to send tiny electrical currents to target the nerves through the skin. The TENS machine is a small battery-operated electronic massager that stimulates the nerves to block pain signals and relieve pain. Furthermore, it uses adhesive electrode pads to deliver the mild, painless electrical impulses from the device to the skin and then into the nerves. Traditional TENS machines use wires to connect to these sticky electrode pads. Whilst still effective at relieving pain, a wired electronic massager can have disadvantages. Disadvantages such as wire entanglement, breakage and shortage can be a hassle on top of already dealing with pain. Luckily, highly innovative wireless TENS machines like the iTENS device at iTENS Australia are now available.
The electrode pads are a key part of a TENS machine. These adhesive patches are used to stick to the skin’s surface in order to deliver the electrical currents used for nerve stimulation effectively. Thus, having to replace broken cables can be a burden when using a traditional wired TENS machine. Conveniently, the iTENS electronic massager at iTENS Australia uses wireless electrode pads powered by Bluetooth technology. Furthermore, these 100% wire-free electrode pads can sync with most iOS and Android smartphones seamlessly. In addition, its compact design and inventive wing-like electrode pads can adhere to most parts of the body effortlessly.
How Does TENS Therapy Using Electronic Massagers Work?
TENS therapy using an electronic massager for pain management treatment works through pain gating and endorphin release.
Firstly, pain gating falls under the Gate Control Theory of Pain Management. This theory states that there is a sort of gating mechanism for neural sensors located in the central nervous system (specifically the spinal cord). Furthermore, using a TENS electronic massager at a high pulse rate can close these neural gates. In order for our body to experience pain, the nerve fibres send pain signals to the spinal cord and then into the brain for processing. Thus, when the neural gates in the spinal cord close, it prevents pain signals from reaching the brain. Depending on the intensity of pain, TENS therapy can inhibit or neutralise pain entirely. Moreover, it works at frequencies of 50 to 150 Hz. TENS therapy at these frequencies is called Sensory Level Electrical Stimulation.
In contrast, using a TENS electronic massager at a lower pulse rate can induce our bodies to produce more endorphins. Endorphins are our body’s natural pain killers. Moreover, these chemicals act like morphine which also reduces the sensation of pain. They can also improve mood, increase happiness and provide euphoria. Thus, giving individuals a general feeling of well-being. Hence, medical professionals call endorphins the “happy hormone”. Likewise, this method of TENS therapy works at 1 to 10 Hz and is called Motor Level Electrical Stimulation.
TENS Therapy vs Other Pain Relief Options
TENS therapy has various advantages over more traditional forms of pain management. For example, oral pain-killing medications may be effective but can cause adverse side effects; people can develop drug dependency if regularly taken. Moreover, home remedies such as hot/ cold packs can relieve pain in a given instance but lack long-term pain management. Likewise, massages are helpful but having someone always be ready to give a massage at a moment’s notice is unlikely. It is where TENS therapy using devices like the iTENS wireless electronic massager comes in. Pain management with the iTENS has the following benefits:
- Natural pain relief – TENS therapy is a toxic and drug-free method of pain relief. There are no adverse side effects and risks.
- Immediate and lasting pain relief – pain relief can start instantly during stimulation and can also last long, even after pain management sessions.
- Boosts blood circulation – TENS therapy increases blood flow. Thus, it promotes faster recovery and healing by soothing damaged nerves and muscles.
- Improves sleep patterns – TENS therapy can aid in relaxation by reducing pain and inducing more endorphins.
- Complementary with other pain relief options – you can conduct TENS pain management independently or with other physical therapy treatments.
- Non-invasive – there are no intrusive procedures with TENS therapy, unlike acupuncture or surgery.
- Small, compact and portable – TENS devices are generally easy to carry around. However, modern devices such as the iTENS wireless electronic massager take portability to the next level.
What Can the iTENS Electronic Massager Treat?
TENS therapy can treat pain, whether it is acute (short term) or chronic (long term) pain. Acute pain typically comes from a specific condition such as injury or surgery and usually only lasts no longer than six months. It goes away once the condition has fully healed. However, because of the suddenness and sharpness of the pain, people with acute pain tend to need immediate pain management. On the other hand, chronic pain is pain that lasts for longer than six months and normally comes from an ongoing condition that causes prolonged pain even after it has fully healed. Consequently, it can be debilitating, especially when the pain remains active for weeks, months or even years if left untreated. Luckily, an effective TENS electronic massager, like the wireless iTENS from iTENS Australia, can treat various acute and chronic pain symptoms, disorders and conditions such as:
- back pain
- neck pain
- nerve pain
- knee pain
- migraines and headaches
- shoulder pain
- muscle pain
- joint pain
- face pain
- dysmenorrheal period pain
- dysmenorrheal labour pain
- abdominal pain
- hip pain
- arm pain
- hand pain
- wrist pain
- elbow pain
- foot pain
- ankle pain
- stretch pain
- post-surgery or post-operative pain
- pain from injury or ailment (such as fractures)
- pain from sprains or strains
The iTENS Pre-set Settings for Pain Management Treatment
In addition, the iTENS wireless electronic massager can relieve the pain felt in different parts of the body. Furthermore, through the iTENS smartphone app, you can conveniently choose the specific pain treatment you need. For example, you can easily select the pre-set pain management treatment settings for:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- subdeltoid bursitis
- intercostals neuralgia
- lumbosacral pain radiculitis
- ankle tendonitis
- tennis elbow
- frozen shoulder
- adhesive capsulitis
- multiple sclerosis
- diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- peripheral nerve injury
- phantom limb syndrome
- Reynaud’s syndrome
- facet syndrome
- IVD syndrome
Therefore, with these available pre-set settings, you no longer need to constantly visit your physician or physical therapist every time you require TENS pain management therapy. With that, iTENS Australia’s wireless TENS electronic massager takes efficient pain management and effectively blends it with increased user-friendliness and convenience.
The iTENS Wireless Electronic Massager at iTENS Australia
The iTENS wireless electronic massager is where convenience and technology meet to improve quality of life. Moreover, it is also the world’s first 100% wireless TENS therapy device with FDA clearance for pain relief. Having FDA clearance ensures users that TENS therapy using the iTENS wireless unit is safe and effective. Furthermore, anyone can easily purchase this medical device even without a prescription. The iTENS wireless electronic massager kit at iTENS Australia includes:
- 1 x Interchangeable Gen 2 iTENS Device (the white round part), which is the rechargeable battery and the Bluetooth receiver
- The Small or Large (depending on the kit selected) G2 Wings with a laser-printed silver conductive surface (14.0cm x 4.4cm)
- 1 x set of reusable and replaceable gel pads (total of up to 15 – 20 applications)
- 1 x charging dock with a USB charging cable
- The iTENS quick start guide manual
- 1 x sealable bag (to store the wings and gel pads when they are not in use)
iTENS Accessories at iTENS Australia
In addition, iTENS Australia also offers different interchangeable spare wings for the iTENS wireless electronic massager. Similarly available are its reusable and replaceable electrode gel pads; these hypoallergenic gel pads are available in sets of three (total of up to 45 – 60 applications).
Accessory – iTENS Spare Wings
- Small Wing iTENS Spare Accessory – these wings can easily grip and move effortlessly on small treatment areas. Thus, they are ideal for pain management on the ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, etc.
- Large Wing iTENS Spare Accessory – these wings can provide maximum coverage to broad body areas. Hence, they are explicitly designed for pain management treatment areas such as the back, shoulder, thighs, etc.
The rotating wings are flexible enough to provide a full range of motion even while conducting TENS pain management therapy with the iTENS wireless electronic massager.
- Long Strip iTENS Spare Accessory – these long strips provide effective pain management treatment on long-length coverage areas of the body. Consequently, these are ideal for pain conditions that radiate downward, such as sciatica. Pad placement would be on the sciatic nerve, IT band, tendons, etc.
Accessory – iTENS Peel’ n Stick Gel Pads
- Small Wing iTENS Peel’ n Stick Gel Pad Accessory (3 pairs)
- Large Wing iTENS Peel’ n Stick Gel Pad Accessory (3 pairs)
- Long Strip iTENS Peel’ n Stick Gel Pad Accessory (3 pairs)
Advantages of the iTENS Wireless Electronic Massager
Aside from its vast applications, there are many more advantages of using the iTENS wireless electronic massager. These include:
- FDA-cleared – it is a safe medical-grade device cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Thus, it has passed all necessary testing to be a safe medical device for pain relief.
- Completely non-invasive and drug-free pain relief – there are no insertions that physically penetrate the skin, such as acupuncture, involved with pain management treatment using the iTENS wireless electronic massager. Furthermore, it has no adverse side effects, unlike oral pain killers such as opioids.
- Flexible rotating adhesive electrode pads – the innovative wing-like design of the iTENS adhesive electrode pads are contoured to fit around most joints and areas of the body. Thus, pad placement is easy and does not inhibit mobility.
- Maximum portability – the design is thin, lightweight, comfortable, compact and discreet. Hence, it is wearable underneath clothing without anybody easily noticing.
- Wireless Bluetooth technology – achieve a full unimpeded range of motion when conducting TENS therapy with its 100% wire-free nature.
- USB-powered with rechargeable, long-lasting batteries – the lithium-ion battery can last up to 24 – 36 hours before recharging (depending on usage and intensity levels).
- Customisable and programmable – the built-in pre-set settings on the iTENS smartphone app can be customised accordingly. Alternatively, manually programming the settings to personal preference is also an option.
- Versatile – can treat a multitude of pain symptoms, conditions and disorders.
- Cost-efficient – due to the availability of low-cost hypoallergenic reusable replacement peel’ n stick gel pads at iTENS Australia.
iTENS Setup and Usage
Setting up and using the iTENS wireless electronic massager is simple. Only two main steps are involved, and you can immediately undergo effective pain management treatment. Just follow these straightforward steps:
- Press and hold the centre button for three (3) seconds to place the device in discoverable mode. Then, the LED light on the device should begin flashing, which means that the discoverable mode is active. Note that in your smartphone settings, Bluetooth must be turned on in order to pair with the iTENS wireless unit.
- Next, press the chain link icon on the home screen of the iTENS smartphone app to search and pair with all available iTENS devices. Moreover, if you are using more than one iTENS device, you must select all located devices when pairing. A solid light on the device denotes that successful pairing of the app and the iTENS wireless unit is achieved.
After doing the steps stated above, you no longer need to pair the iTENS wireless electronic massager with your smartphone device with every use. You can simply turn the iTENS device on or off using the on-app control screen. Also, if necessary, the centre button can act as a hard reset button, but take note that doing so will reset all pairing settings.
Lastly, you may also opt to use the iTENS wireless electronic massager without using the app. However, only basic programs are accessible in manual operation. Hence, using this device with the iTENS smartphone app is most advisable and preferable.
Using the iTENS Wireless Unit as an Electronic Massager
You can conveniently use the iTENS wireless unit as an electronic massager with massage mode settings. Firstly, place the adhesive electrode gel pads on the affected area. Next, turn on the device and connect it to your phone via Bluetooth. Start with a low-frequency setting to begin the stimulation. You will feel a tingling sensation as the machine works. Subsequently, you may gradually increase the intensity as needed. The placement of the adhesive electrode pads is also essential for effective pain relief. You may refer to the iTENS placement guide through the iTENS smartphone app on where to place the pads effectively.
The iTENS is a wireless TENS device that uses innovative wing-like electrode gel pads to stimulate the nerves to block pain efficiently. If you already use the iTENS wireless unit for acute or chronic pain treatment, you can also benefit from its low-frequency mode as an electronic massager. The low-frequency mode of a TENS device causes the release of more endorphins, which are effective for soothing body pain and further help with relaxation. An electronic massager like the wireless iTENS unit can also help improve blood circulation. It can stimulate the nearby nerves and releases muscle knots. In the iTENS massage mode, your body starts to relax, and you will quickly feel your muscles loosen up.
iTENS Electronic Massager Maintenance Guide
To charge the iTENS wireless electronic massager, remove the device itself (the white round part) from the magnetically attached wings with a twist and pull. Then, place the unit into the USB docking station. Be sure to line up the small gold prongs on the dock with the device’s indentations. The iTENS device and the docking station should be magnetically locked in place whilst charging. Alternatively, you may purchase an additional AC adapter with a USB cable to make it into a wall charger.
First and foremost, the iTENS wireless electronic massager’s adhesive gel pads should be for single-person use only. The electrode pads will eventually accumulate some gel residue, particularly on the silver conductive surface of the wings. It is due to peeling the gel pad on and off during usage. Thus, it is advisable to wipe off the gel residue using a slightly wetted paper towel by gentle rubbing. For the device itself, use a damp cloth to wipe it down gently. It is imperative that you do not submerge the iTENS device in water or other liquids.
The iTENS wireless electronic massager and its peel’ n stick gel pads should ideally be stored in the zip lock poly bag (included when you purchase the iTENS Pain Relief Kit). Alternatively, you may purchase a separate storage case so as long as the iTENS gel pads would not have the risk of drying out. Furthermore, it would be best if you always kept the iTENS gel pads covered using the clear plastic film provided with the kit. Following these storage instructions can prolong the iTENS gels pads’ lifespan to the longest possible.
Safety Precautions for TENS Therapy
TENS therapy is a safe, non-invasive and drug-free method of pain relief. Moreover, the iTENS wireless electronic massager has FDA clearance, ensuring quality and safety as a tool for pain management. However, as with most methods of therapy, there are some safety precautions to consider. Though TENS therapy can be used multiple times a day, it is advisable to take 20-minute breaks in between pain management sessions to avoid overstimulation and skin irritation. Furthermore, conducting TENS therapy should be avoided when under the following circumstances:
- If you are pregnant or suspect you are pregnant. However, TENS therapy is safe to use during labour to manage pain from contractions
- When you are currently driving, operating heavy machinery or doing any other activities that can put you at risk of injury or harm
- When sleeping, swimming, bathing/ showering or near bodies of water
- Not advisable if you have cancer, epilepsy, diabetes or cognitive impairment. You may talk to your physician or health care provider about conducting TENS therapy if you have any of these conditions
- If you have an implanted metallic or electronic device such as defibrillators, cardiac pacemakers, spinal cord stimulators, in-dwelling pumps or monitors, etc
In addition, when placing the adhesive electrode pads on a TENS electronic massager, keep in mind not to place the pads on the following areas:
- directly on the spinal column
- directly on joints
- front or side on the neck
- chest and trunk simultaneously
- cancerous, swollen, broken, infected, inflamed or irritated skin
In conclusion, an effective electronic massager at home can conveniently help you with constant pain and stress relieving treatments. You can also use it anytime and as often as you need. Furthermore, a TENS machine like the iTENS is a safe and non-invasive pain management method. Thus, its ease of use, portability, and reliability make the iTENS wireless electronic massager ideal for pain relief and relaxation treatments. Lastly, the iTENS wireless unit is readily available for purchase without prescription directly at the iTENS Australia website, with nationwide shipping. With iTENS Australia, the days of wired and bulky TENS machines or electronic massagers are in the past.