Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, or TENS, is a pain-relieving therapy method that uses electrode pads to pass a small electrical signal through the skin and into the nerves. The battery-operated device known as a TENS machine is connected to the TENS pads. These electrical impulses can ease discomfort and provide relaxation. In particular, the “Gate Control Theory of Pain” states that the spinal cord has a gating system called “neural pathways,”. During TENS therapy, the electrical impulses causes the nerve pathways to close and block the pain signals from reaching the brain. Additionally, they stimulate the body’s endorphin production, the body’s natural painkillers. Thus, elevating the mood and the sense of well-being.
Effective pain control during TENS therapy sessions needs high-quality equipment. The cordless iTENS unit is a very effective TENS device for pain relief with greater comfort and convenience because of the unique wing-like shape of its TENS pads. iTENS is available directly on iTENS Australia’s website.
What Are TENS Pads?
The TENS pads are a vital part of a TENS machine. The pads emit low-voltage electrical currents which are essential for treating various pain symptoms or conditions. By placing the electrode pads on a target pain area, the electrical impulses stimulate the nearby nerves. Moreover, they can also assist in muscle relaxation and recovery. Additionally, they are self-adhesive pads that come in various shapes and sizes. Furthermore, the electrodes inhibit pain signals to the brain by transferring a harmless electrical current from one pad to the next. The person may feel a tingling sensation from the TENS pads as the electrodes change how the brain perceives pain. Also, the influence of these TENS electrode pads in pain management therapy is considerable. As a result, the electrodes are utilised in TENS therapy to relieve pain effectively.
Traditional TENS machines have wires connected to the TENS pads. Meanwhile, iTENS Australia offers a revolutionary pain relief solution through the wireless iTENS. The iTENS pads are completely wire-free for more efficient pain management. The device have optional Bluetooth connectivity to pair with a smartphone app. You may use the device alone by switching the machine on and immediately start TENS therapy. However, the iTENS companion app enables you to modify the level of pain relief based on your needs or preference. For example, you can adjust the intensity and frequency based on the severity of your condition.
The TENS Pad Maintenance Guide
Using TENS pads often may reduce the pads’ stickiness. Fortunately, there are a few simple methods for getting the pads sticky once more. As a result, it can preserve the TENS device’s lifespan. You can maintain the TENS electrode pads’ longevity by regularly cleaning them, especially when there is a build-up of gel residue. A damp microfiber towel is advisable to clean the pads and restore its adhesiveness.
Additionally, do not use excessive force to clean the TENS pads to prevent damage. You can also use a soft toothbrush to brush the pads after wiping them clean with the damp microfiber cloth. Then, the brush will delicately reveal the sticky surface of the pad. Consequently, they can reattach to the skin. Furthermore, you can adhere to these basic recommendations for maintaining pads properly:
- Ensure the TENS machine’s electrode pads are on clean, dry skin. Use a gentle soap and water to wash the skin.
- Before each TENS therapy session, ensure the pads are firmly attached to your skin.
- Avoid using any cream or body lotion on your skin when receiving TENS therapy.
- You should not put the electrode pads in a refrigerator. However, you can store it in places with temperatures ranging from 5 to 27 degrees Celsius.
TENS Pads Placement
During TENS therapy, the TENS pads should always be positioned correctly. As a result, the targeted location may get appropriate and effective electrical nerve stimulation. Every treatment can be made substantially more effectively by ensuring proper nerve stimulation. Additionally, users must ensure that the pads are positioned according to the particular injury, body part, and the medical condition being treated. Users should place the electrode pads close to or around the area that has to be treated. This approach guarantees that you are hitting the appropriate set of nerves. It is also advisable to position the treatment spot between the pads. Users can also use this guide:
- Sciatica – Put electrodes behind the leg and on the side of the lower back that is in discomfort.
- Shoulder, waist, and lower back pain – You can use the pads over the painful area if you have lower back, shoulder, or waist aches (primarily for muscle pain).
- Joint pain – You can place the pads on either side of the pain area if you have joint discomfort.
- Leg and calf – The upper and lower calf can receive the pads.
- Ankle and foot – You can place one pad on the sole of the ankle and the other on the calf.
However, some people may feel uncomfortable using the TENS pads without a healthcare practitioner’s guidance and help. If unsure, see a doctor or a physical therapist for professional advice on where to position the pads and how they function.
Benefits of Wireless TENS
Utilising the wireless iTENS unit with wireless TENS pads from iTENS Australia has many benefits.
- It is a device with Bluetooth connectivity. Thus, the user may be able to seamlessly pair their TENS device and smartphone thanks to this connectivity. Users may access various treatment through the pre-set modes of the iTENS app. Treatments can be significantly more convenient with wireless pads, especially when treating difficult-to-reach areas like the lower back.
- Secondly, with no cables, untangling wires before treatment eliminates inconvenience and save time and effort.
- And lastly, a wireless device can enable mobility. Moreover, having more mobility allows users to combine TENS therapy with other activities. Hence, patients can work, perform housework, and even exercise during electrotherapy sessions. Users with hectic schedules may find this feature helpful.
Additionally, the wireless characteristics of the iTENS wireless TENS pads make it possible to perform more extended workout programs while receiving electrotherapy. Since users move around more easily with wireless electrode pads, they can achieve more intense exercise while receiving TENS therapy. Healthcare practitioners frequently combine TENS therapy with other forms of treatment to aid in rehabilitating injuries. Also, improved circulation can help in the rehabilitation of muscles and nerves.
Where to Get Replacement Pads?
Despite proper care and maintenance, all TENS pads will eventually need replacing. If your TENS device needs new TENS pads, you can get replacement pads directly from iTENS Australia’s official website. iTENS Australia offers three types of gel pads: small, large, and long strips. Additionally, you can reuse and swap these Peel ‘n Stick gel pads whichever you need. You can use each pack of gel pads 15 to 25 times. Each gel pad pack containing three sets which can serve up to 45-60 uses. Therefore, the iTENS wireless device is a worthwhile investment, given how versatile a TENS machine is and how effective it can be for pain management. You can purchase the iTENS wireless unit and complete accessories without prescription at iTENS Australia.