A healthy body plays a vital role in overall well-being as it enables individuals to do things without conflicts or problems. However, many factors can affect a person, making daily routines difficult. One of the common concerns is dealing with pain from a health condition or injury. The International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) defines pain as an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with or resembling actual or potential tissue damage. Many people develop conditions that affect normal body functions, especially as they get older. Therefore, individuals employ various techniques to manage pain. More people have recently used Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) as a pain management option. The best TENS machine in Australia can help with various acute and chronic pain situations and can be obtained from iTENS Australia.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: What Is TENS Therapy?
Pain management comes in many forms. Many people use oral painkillers as the first line of defence against pain because they are affordable and widely accessible. They are available over the counter or prescribed by a doctor. However, long-term intake can cause adverse side effects or complications. On the other hand, several non-drug techniques are physical or manual therapy, acupuncture, and electrotherapy, like TENS.
TENS involves the application of low-voltage electrical currents in the affected body area for pain relief. People who need a drug-free alternative reach for the best TENS machine in Australia. iTENS Australia offers the iTENS, a revolutionary wireless TENS device that pain specialists highly recommend. TENS therapy is a natural, non-invasive, and toxic-free method for reducing pain. Contemporary TENS machines, like the iTENS, incorporate technological innovations to aid in efficient pain management.
However, electrical stimulation for pain relief is not a modern concept. It has a long history dating to ancient Rome, where Scribonius Largus discovered that “electric fish” could help relieve pain. Then, the discovery of electricity in the 17th century paved the way for the invention of machines to help treat various ailments. However, the development of the TENS machine we use today is accredited by American neurosurgeon C. Norman Shealy. Since then, TENS devices have helped many people control pain symptoms. Today, the best TENS machines in Australia are used for various purposes.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: How TENS Therapy Works
TENS devices utilise electrodes to deliver mild electrical impulses to the body through the skin. In addition, modern units have various features and types of programs. Therefore, the best TENS machine in Australia depends on the pain relief needs. Moreover, TENS therapy works based on two theories: the Gate Control Theory of Pain and the Endorphin Release Theory. When the body hurts, the brain triggers a response to handle that pain. A TENS machine stimulates the body’s natural defences to control unpleasant sensations. In particular, when the electrical pulses reach the sensory nerves, they elicit the following reaction:
- Pain gating mechanism: The Gate Control Theory of Pain proposes the nerve fibres in the spinal cord act as a gating mechanism for pain signals. It suggests that external stimulation from TENS causes the neural gates to close, restricting the pain signals from reaching the brain.
- Endorphin release: mild electrical currents induce the release of endorphins from the brain. Endorphins are neurotransmitters that alleviate pain and promote pleasure. It decreases pain perception by inhibiting the nerve cells from sending pain signals.
- Blood circulation boost: a benefit of TENS treatment is to improve the flow of nutrient-carrying blood and oxygen to the affected tissues and nerves in the target area. Thus, it soothes soreness and inflammation.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Types of Pain
Pain is subjective and varies from person to person. It also depends on many factors, including age, gender, and tolerance. As a result, people experience pain differently. Pain can range from mild, sharp, dull aches to throbbing, burning, and pinlike sensations. Some pain is tolerable, while others are debilitating and need intensive treatments. Additionally, it can happen from various causes like accidents and disorders, while other situations have unknown origins. Therefore, appropriate pain management is vital to treat discomfort. While TENS cannot cure the source of pain, it may help alter the way the brain perceives it. Furthermore, understanding the types of pain is useful when searching for the best TENS machine in Australia. Pain can be classified into the following kinds:
- Nociceptive – pain associated with tissue damage or injury. This occurs with the activation of nociceptors or when the sensory nerve endings are sensitised, such as touching a hot plate. Inflammation is also common for nociceptive pain as the body coordinates a response to heal the tissue damage. This pain includes acute injuries like sprained ankles, broken bones, or pulled muscles.
- Neuropathic – pain associated with nerve damage. Neuropathic pain typically feels like burning, shooting, or prickling sensations, with sensitivity to touch and movement. The causes of nerve damage include infections, diabetes, and autoimmune diseases.
- Nociplastic – pain arising from altered sensory functions without clear evidence of damaged tissues. Examples of this type of pain are migraines and fibromyalgia.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Kinds of TENS Machines
A TENS machine is a wearable, battery-operated electric device adhered to the pain site. There have been many variations of TENS machines since their first development. Modern TENS units include advanced functions to help with wide pain conditions, including soreness, swelling, acute injuries, and chronic diseases.
Moreover, TENS machines are mainly classified into wired or wireless units. Traditional TENS use wires to connect the electrode pads to a controller. It is common in physiotherapy clinics and health facilities to help patients treat severe symptoms and recover from an injury or surgery. In contrast, wireless TENS units are more compact with the absence of connecting cables. It is equally effective as a wired unit but with added convenience. Therefore, many people check for the best TENS machine in Australia from iTENS Australia according to their features and functions.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Conditions It Can Treat
TENS therapy is a versatile pain management method for multiple aches or discomforts. Some units are designed for a particular condition, like labour TENS. However, the best TENS machine in Australia should be able to manage several pain types. Hence, it is needless to use different devices for different pain. TENS helps relieve acute pain or conditions that do not last more than three months. It also benefits people with chronic disorders or pain symptoms that endure longer than three months. Additionally, TENS provides therapeutic relief from the following:
Soft tissue injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Plantar fasciitis
- Frozen shoulder
- Lateral epicondylitis or tennis elbow
- Ankle tendonitis
- Muscle sprains
Other chronic conditions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD)
- Period pain or abdominal cramps
- Labour contractions
- Muscle soreness
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Features to Consider
A TENS machine is a controllable device that stimulates the nerves and reduces pain. Users can control the strength of the electrical currents based on their maximum comfort level. However, not all TENS units are the same. Therefore, it is essential to examine the device’s features to get the best TENS machine in Australia. Moreover, these key aspects are vital in choosing a TENS device:
- Electrode pads – TENS pads come in different sizes and shapes. It is important to get electrode pads that can cover the affected area sufficiently. In addition, choosing between a wired or wireless unit can impact pain treatment in various settings or situations.
- Intensity levels – regulate how powerful the treatment is. The higher the intensity, the more robust the nerve stimulation. Higher levels are more effective for severe pain. Thus, check the TENS settings when looking for a device.
- Target areas – most TENS units are suitable for various locations, while specialised devices target a specific body part. Likewise, certain areas may be trickier for electrode pads to place. Hence, a versatile TENS machine can help manage a wide array of pain.
- Treatment modes – most devices come with preset modes for specific conditions. Therefore, it can make TENS treatment easier without needing to adjust the settings each time.
- Battery type – TENS machines use either single-use or rechargeable batteries.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Advantages of the iTENS Wireless Unit
A wireless TENS machine has essential functions like traditional TENS but without the inconvenience of messy wires. Moreover, they are more portable and easier to adhere to. iTENS from iTENS Australia is the world’s first FDA-cleared wireless TENS device for pain relief. Many individuals and health professionals consider iTENS the best TENS machine in Australia. It combines digital and wearable technology with the effectiveness of TENS therapy. Furthermore, the wireless electrodes of the iTENS are Bluetooth-capable, enabling you to control pain treatment from an iOS or Android device. The device connects to a smartphone to access the innovative iTENS companion app.
The iTENS wireless unit offers more flexibility during TENS sessions. The best TENS machine in Australia allows unrestricted movements because of wire-free electrodes. Additionally, wireless TENS devices are more lightweight and discreet when used. Therefore, they are barely noticeable underneath clothing and do not interfere with physical activities. Individuals can administer TENS therapy at work or on the go whenever pain symptoms flare up. Furthermore, iTENS utilises hypoallergenic gel pads that adhere firmly to the skin and minimise redness or irritation. Despite its compact size, iTENS offers numerous treatment modes from the app.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Features of the iTENS Companion App
Standard wireless TENS machines do not have a Bluetooth connection and are operated directly on the device itself. Unfortunately, it can be hard to control pain relief without a remote controller, especially in less accessible areas like the lower back. On the other hand, the wireless iTENS electrodes pair seamlessly with a smartphone through a Bluetooth connection. It incorporates digital health technology to deliver efficient pain management through the iTENS app. Thus, the wireless capability and app convenience of the iTENS makes it the best TENS machine in Australia. In addition, the iTENS smartphone app provides the following features:
- Preset modes: built-in programs for the convenient treatment of pain or discomfort according to body areas or health conditions. Users can select a specific program to begin the therapy.
- Customisable settings: people who prefer to set their TENS treatment can use the manual mode. It allows users to adjust the TENS parameters like amplitude, pulse width, and duration. As a result, people can find a stimulation level that gives optimal results.
- Timer: preset modes include a set time; thus, it prevents overstimulation. The device automatically shuts off after the TENS session.
- Tracking: monitor cumulative usage time and chart the results.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Operating the iTENS Wireless TENS Device
TENS therapy is a practical pain management method. It is easy to facilitate and does not require medical supervision. The best TENS machine in Australia allows pain treatment outside a clinic. Moreover, traditional TENS devices require linking the wires to the electrode pads. Hence, it can take time before a person can start the therapy. Alternatively, the revolutionary iTENS enables fast pain relief in these easy steps:
- Peel the protective cover from the gel pads.
- Stick the electrode pads on the pain site.
- Turn on the device and launch the app.
- Select the preferred pain treatment from the menu or customise the settings.
- Adjust the intensity gradually until it reaches a strong but comfortable level.
Pain management through the iTENS is straightforward. Individuals new to TENS therapy can easily use the device without complications. Additionally, determining the correct pad placement is vital in attaining effective results. As a general guide, position the electrodes near or surrounding the pain area. For example, you may consult your physician for the proper electrode pad positioning. Alternatively, you may check the placement guide in the iTENS app. Furthermore, you may set the frequency on different levels to alleviate pain. TENS machines use low-frequency (2-10 Hz) to induce endorphin release and high-frequency (50-120 Hz) to close the nerve pathways in the spinal cord.
Best TENS Machine in Australia with EMS
Electric stimulation devices accomplish various tasks in improving physical functions. TENS is one type of electrotherapy specifically for pain relief through nerve stimulation. Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) is another type of electrotherapy device that targets the muscles instead of the nerves. Some people may confuse TENS and EMS since they both utilise electrical currents. However, their uses are distinct from each other.
EMS uses a higher frequency than TENS to strengthen weak or atrophied muscles through involuntary contractions. Therefore, knowing your exact pain conditions is essential to get the right treatment. Fortunately, some e-stim machines combine TENS and EMS benefits into one device. For example, individuals with sports injuries use TENS and EMS therapies to relieve pain and accelerate healing. Thus, many people look for the best TENS machine in Australia with EMS to overcome several pain situations.
The best TENS machine in Australia, like the wireless iTENS, provides versatile pain treatment, including muscle pain relief from an injury or overuse. The iTENS app includes preset modes for massage, muscle relaxation, and muscle spasm alleviation. The device produces constant soothing pulses to ease muscle tension or loosen muscle knots. Similarly, it can also boost blood circulation to relieve sore or swollen muscles after a workout. Hence, iTENS is a cost-efficient device for various types of pain.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Advantages of TENS Therapy
Pain management through the best TENS machine in Australia offers several benefits. Firstly, TENS is a natural pain relief method without adverse side effects. Unlike oral analgesics, there is no risk of dependency, overdose, health complications, or damage to vital organs. Therefore, people with chronic pain can repeatedly use TENS several times daily. Secondly, a TENS machine is non-invasive. It does not involve intrusive procedures like acupuncture or surgery.
In addition, the TENS pads adhere firmly to the skin but do not leave lasting marks. Users can also control their pain relief by adjusting the intensity level accordingly. Moreover, TENS machines are portable, making them easy to carry around and use anywhere. It is ideal for conditions with mild to moderate symptoms without requiring intensive treatments. Hence, people do not need to skip work to go to a doctor.
Other drug-free alternatives are exercise, physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, and home remedies like ice and heat packs. Specific exercises and physical therapy work on targeted body areas for pain alleviation. However, some of these strategies need a licensed professional to administer them. Similarly, hot and cold therapy remedies are effective but do not have lasting effects. In relation, the best TENS machine in Australia can be self-administered at home and at any time. Users can wear a TENS machine while sitting, standing, or moving around. Furthermore, the TENS pads apply to multiple body parts.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: How Long Does Pain Relief Last?
The therapeutic effects of any pain management method vary between individuals. The best TENS machine in Australia, like the iTENS, can deliver immediate pain relief within ten minutes of the application. Some users also report experiencing pain alleviation for up to 24 hours. Moreover, TENS treatment has different outcomes depending on the type and severity of the pain. For example, studies show that TENS is most advantageous for chronic pain when administered for at least 30 minutes when a person is active. Furthermore, the regular use of TENS can help attain longer relief periods. However, to prevent the body from getting accustomed to the therapy, it is recommended to take breaks in between TENS sessions and alter the electrode placement.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: iTENS Wireless Kit Guide
The innovative wing-shaped design of the iTENS electrode pads makes it ideal for maximising the effectiveness of TENS therapy. Unlike standard square patches, the iTENS wings can fit the curves of most joints. The iTENS Gen2 wings are ultra-thin and lightweight that can flex with movement. Additionally, the laser-printed conductive surface of the iTENS pads adheres firmly and minimises skin irritation. If you plan on carrying a TENS device wherever you go, the iTENS is the best TENS machine in Australia. Moreover, the pads are interchangeable to accommodate adequate TENS treatment in various areas. iTENS Australia offers the following wireless pain relief devices:
- Small wings kit (14.0cm x 4.4cm) – enables flexibility needed in smaller areas like the joints, hands, and feet.
- Large wings kit (16.5cm x 6.4cm) – gives maximum coverage for widespread pain. It is ideal for broad areas like the back and thighs.
- Long strip spare wings – accessory pad for elongated treatment areas like a pressed sciatic nerve, IT bands, or tendons.
- Refill gel pads – each packet contains three sets of replaceable pads for small, large, and long strip wings. One pad can serve up to 20 applications.
Best TENS Machine in Australia: Safety Precautions
A TENS machine, like any medical device, may produce adverse effects when misused. Hence, it is crucial to take safety precautions. Although mild electrical currents are generally safe, it is important to consult a specialist to see if TENS therapy is suitable for you. The iTENS, which is the best TENS machine in Australia, advises following the safety guidelines when using stimulator devices. For example, TENS is not suitable for individuals with current or history of the following conditions without seeking medical attention:
- Heart disease
- While pregnant (before labour)
- With an electrical implanted device like a cardiac pacemaker, defibrillator, in-dwelling pumps or monitors, and spinal cord stimulator
- Cognitive impairment
- Blood clots
Additionally, do not apply TENS pads on the following:
- Broken wounds
- Infected skin or rashes
- Numb areas
- The top of the head
- Spinal cord
- Both sides of the chest and trunk at the same time
- Directly on the joints and backbone
If you are looking for a non-invasive and drug-free alternative to pain relief, a TENS machine is an excellent option. More people use TENS therapy to manage acute and chronic pain because it does not have adverse side effects. Furthermore, TENS can be conducted while working or being active and can be used with physical therapy. However, for the most effective results, choose a reliable device that offers versatile treatment, settings, and advanced features. Therefore, the best TENS machine in Australia should be cost-efficient and adaptable to many needs. The iTENS wireless TENS device from iTENS Australia provides advanced features to suit various pain conditions. You may purchase the iTENS at iTENS Australia online without a prescription for long-term use.