Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) has become a popular treatment choice for various pain conditions. These conditions include tendinitis, bursitis, neck and lower back pain, and osteoarthritis. A reliable TENS unit can help temporarily ease the pain. Using a wireless TENS device, like the iTENS, can significantly improve the quality of life and health, especially for those who suffer from chronic pain. Many with these conditions seek out the best TENS machines in Australia to help with their specific needs.
TENS therapy is safe, affordable and reliable. By comparison, prescribed oral medications can become costly and may have adverse side effects like dependency in the long term. Meanwhile, surgical procedures are expensive and require more extended recovery periods. Lastly, physical therapy requires visits to clinics and requires a steep time investment. With all this in mind, it is no surprise that many people look for the best TENS machines in Australia for practical and reliable alternative pain treatments.
Best TENS Machines Australia – What Can TENS Treat?
Many individuals look up “the best TENS machine in Australia” to find a product that can help manage their pain conditions. In particular, wireless TENS devices, like the iTENS, are in high demand for their convenience and effectiveness. Furthermore, such devices treat a variety of acute and chronic pain conditions. People can use TENS therapy to treat muscle and joint soreness and aches in the following areas:
Moreover, TENS can also help with discomforts and ailments such as:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Spinal stenosis
- Epicondylitis or tennis elbow
- Frozen shoulder
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Labour pains during pregnancy
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Best TENS Machines Australia – How Does TENS Work?
Many medical experts recommend TENS therapy for its effectiveness and reliability. However, people should know how TENS machines work before looking up the best TENS machines in Australia and buying one. TENS devices use electrode pads to deliver mild electrical stimulation. Individuals can place these pads on specific pain areas that produce gentle electrical currents on the skin. TENS machines treat pain conditions in ways that vary depending on the frequency the users set.
- Low frequencies – A TENS device set on lower frequencies of 2 to 10 Hz helps the body release endorphins. Endorphins are hormones that serve as natural painkillers. The brain releases these neurotransmitters to relieve pain sensations, improve mood and lessen anxiety. Furthermore, the endorphins from low-frequency can help improve mobility by lessening inflammation.
- High frequencies – TENS frequencies set on higher frequencies of 50 to 130 Hz trigger the pain gate mechanism to block pain signals. According to the Gate Control Theory of Pain, the nervous system uses the spine as a neural gate. Hence, electrical stimulation closes these gates and lesser the brain’s pain perception. Moreover, it improves blood circulation and quickens the healing process of damaged muscles and joints. Furthermore, combo units enable people to use higher frequencies for EMS treatment.
Best TENS Machines Australia – Pad Placement Guide
Proper placement of electrode pads is crucial to maximising the effectiveness of TENS therapy. Also, adequate arrangement ensures that electrical currents reach the right nerves during treatment. Users should remember to put the electrode pads on muscles near or around the treatment area as a general rule of thumb. For instance, those using TENS for the knee joint can place pads around the muscles surrounding the joint. Here are some additional pointers for electrode pad placement:
- Shoulder pains – Users can treat conditions like a stiff or frozen shoulder by placing one pad at the front of the shoulder (anterior deltoids) and another pad behind it (posterior deltoids). This situates the shoulder in the middle of the pads, allowing for thorough electrical stimulation.
- Lower back pains – place the pads on the lower back (near the back’s dimples) with an electrode on either side of the spine. Furthermore, remember never to apply the electrode pads directly to the spinal cord.
- Sciatic pains – For radiating sciatic pains, apply the electrode pads on the lower back and behind the legs.
Best TENS Machines Australia: The iTENS and Its Accessories
The iTENS is among the best TENS machines in Australia for pain management and relief. Convenience, reliability, and safety are essential aspects of any TENS device. The iTENS is the first FDA-cleared wireless TENS machine. This clearance ensures that the device is safe for anyone and is effective as an electrotherapy device. iTENS Australia also offers a variety of pads and accessories to choose from, so users can tailor their treatment to their needs.
- Small wing pads – the iTENS small wings treat more active and movement-prone areas like the elbows, ankles, wrists and knees.
- Large wing pads – the iTENS large wing pads are excellent for treating broad pain areas like the thighs and the back.
- Long strip pads – these iTENS long stip pads are ideal for treating pain in elongated areas like the legs and forearms. In addition, the long strip pads are also optimal for radiating pain conditions like sciatica and myofascial pain syndrome.
- Replaceable gel pads – people can use these refills for 15 to 20 applications. Each packet contains a set of three gel pads, making for an easy and affordable replacement.
Best TENS Machines Australia: Safety Precautions
As effective as TENS is, users still have precautions to remember when using a TENS device. This remains true even while using the best TENS machines in Australia. There are a few things to bear in mind. For example, doctors and physical therapists recommend a 20 to 30-minute interval between sessions to rest the skin when using TENS multiple times a day. This interval ensures that the skin won’t get irritated or overstimulated.
Furthermore, users must remember to be mindful of the frequency and intensity. They must keep them within safe and recommended levels to avoid damaging or burning the skin. TENS therapy is the perfect means to alleviate and manage pain. However, they should not be used beyond the advised use. Medical experts disadvise TENS for the following reasons:
- While in the shower, bath, pool or anywhere near water
- People with metal implants for fractures and injuries
- Women in the early stages of pregnancy
- While operating heavy machinery or driving a vehicle
- Those with conditions such as cancer, heart ailments, blood clots, and epilepsy
- Applying adhesive electrodes on infected skin, open wounds, numb patches of skin
- Placing pads on sensitive areas such as the genitals, throat, head, or over the eyes
- People with electrical implants like cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation is one of the most cost-effective and safe methods of managing pain conditions. The therapy is drug-free and non-invasive. In addition, because of its sleek and compact design, TENS machines allow for more timely treatment. It can also be used whenever needed, as long as users follow the prescribed time and take breaks in between sessions. Because of its cutting-edge technology and its many advantages and benefits, many deem the iTENS one of the best TENS machines in Australia. The iTENS treats various pain conditions and enables individuals to treat multiple locations simultaneously. A convenient and effective TENS device like the iTENS from iTENS Australia can improve quality of life and empower users to live their lives uninterrupted by pain conditions.