Using electrical stimulation (e-stim) is an effective technique in pain management. Moreover, electrical stimulation or electrotherapy has relieved millions of people from acute and chronic pain for decades. Physiotherapists use Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) to help treat athletes with injuries or people with health conditions that cause pain to occur. The conventional TENS device consists of wired electrode pads attached to the device. On the other hand, more advanced and modern devices are wireless and have more features. The iTENS portable stim machine has interchangeable electrode gel pads with multiple sizes to choose from. Through these electrodes, the device sends mild electrical voltage through the skin to target the nerves.
In the past, you may only use stim machines in health clinics with the help of medical professionals. Conveniently, you may now also purchase one for personal use. The iTENS portable stim machine available at iTENS Australia is compact and ideal for use while on the go.
What Exactly Does Electrical Stimulation or E-Stim Do?
Medical professionals, mainly physiotherapists, use e-stim therapy to treat patients for a number of reasons. However, with the prevalence of portable stim machines available for personal use, like the iTENS, you may now conduct e-stim therapy yourself. Thus, you may now gain the benefits of e-stim in the comfort of your home or even doing other chores. The following are the common reasons for conducting electrical stimulation therapy:
- Help relieve and decrease back spasms
- Prevent muscle atrophy
- Work weakened muscles
- Retain muscle strength after surgery or an illness
- Athletic recovery
- Provide recovery for inflammation
- Pain relief through TENS
The most iconic use of e-stim therapy is its capability to provide effective pain relief using Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS). Subsequently, TENS pain management therapy using a portable stim machine can adequately treat pain caused by:
- cancer-related pain
- muscle conditioning
- muscle injury from trauma or disease
- nerve inflammation
- poor muscle strength
- multiple sclerosis
- urinary incontinence
- spinal cord injury
- surgery recovery
How Does E-Stim via Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) Work?
TENS devices provide immediate pain relief by delivering mild electrical currents to stimulate the nearby nerves. Likewise, a portable stim machine can achieve the same benefits but with added convenience. Moreover, it functions based on two working theories:
- Firstly, according to the Gate Control Theory of Pain, the spinal cord has a “neural gate” that controls the passage of pain signals. Once electrical stimulation begins, the neural gate blocks the pain signals from reaching the brain. Furthermore, this theory works if the TENS machine is set at a high pulse rate of 90 to 130 Hz.
- Secondly, electrical stimulation can also help release endorphins. Endorphins are our body’s natural pain killers. As a result, the body feels less pain. In contrast to the Gate Control Theory of Pain, this theory works at a low pulse rate of 2 to 5 Hz.
In line with this, the best portable stim machine today is the iTENS wireless device. It is due to the multiple features that the iTENS wireless device has that increase portability whilst providing users with efficient pain management treatments.
The iTENS Portable Stim Machine
The revolutionary iTENS portable stim machine is available for purchase at the iTENS Australia website. This innovative device merges wearable digital technology with TENS’ highly effective therapeutic effects. The iTENS unit is Bluetooth-capable and seamlessly pairs with most iOS and Android devices. Moreover, once you pair the device with the smartphone app, you can begin treatment immediately. With the iTENS app, users can benefit from the pre-set settings available. This feature makes it easy for anyone to conduct effective pain management therapy even without the help of a medical professional. Alternatively, users may also use the iTENS manually thru the device itself. Thus, users can set their desired level of frequency and pulse rate depending on their requirements.
In addition, the iTENS portable stim machine is the world’s first FDA-cleared wireless device for TENS therapy. Having FDA clearance ensures this product’s safety, quality and effectiveness as a professional medical TENS device for personal use.
The iTENS Portable Stim Machines Available at iTENS Australia
iTENS Australia offers two portable stim machine kits and three interchangeable spare wing accessories. In addition, you may also purchase sets of gel pads for easy electrode pad replacement.
An iTENS Portable Stim Machine Kit includes:
- 1 x Interchangeable Gen 2 iTENS Device (the white round part), which is the rechargeable battery and the Bluetooth receiver
- Small or Large (depending on the kit) G2 Wings with laser printed silver conductive surface (14.0cm x 4.4cm)
- One set of reusable and replaceable gel pads (15 – 20 applications)
- Charging dock with USB charging cable
- Quick start guide
- Sealable bag to store the wings and gel when not in use
iTENS Spare Wing Accessories:
- Small Wing – the small wing size is ideal for small treatment areas like the ankle, knee, elbow and wrist. The small flexible rotating wings give a full range of motion while gripping easily on these areas.
- Large Wing – the large wing size is ideal for broader pain sites such as the back or thighs. The large flexible rotating wings give maximum coverage whilst also providing a full range of motion.
- Long Strip – the long strip can cover areas of pain that radiate downward. It is ideal for the sciatic nerve, IT band, tendons, and other long or flexible treatment areas.
The iTENS Portable Stim Machine: Additional Effects and Usage
TENS therapy via the iTENS portable stim machine is a cost-efficient method to alleviate pain. Furthermore, it can also improve the blood circulation in the area and soothe the affected nerves or muscles to relax. Additionally, the slim wing-like pads of iTENS are flexible and contoured to fit well in different body parts. Therefore, they are unnoticeable under the clothes, so you can treat pain while working without hindering your movement. You can use TENS many times a day as needed. A single session may last up to thirty minutes. During a session, you would feel a slight tingling sensation. You can start at the lowest frequency and gradually increase it to find optimal pain relief.
Chronic pains (long-term pain) are hard to push away. With a TENS device, you can live as normally as possible. The iTENS portable stim machine is convenient to use anytime and anywhere. However, make sure you take regular 20-minute breaks between sessions. Also, the pads are reusable and easy to care for. You can gently wipe the silver area of the pads with a damp cloth to clean the build-up of residue. As a general guide, using a TENS device is not suitable for pregnant women, cancer and epileptic patients, and people with metal or electronic implants (like pacemakers). Also, avoid using these devices while driving or near a body of water. For best results, consult your doctor for proper use and guidance of stim machines.