Pain is a debilitating sensation that people experience due to injuries or health issues. Enduring pain can be upsetting since it limits your activities and affects the overall quality of life. Therefore, finding the right treatment can significantly improve your pain situation. Thus, many people use various techniques to find effective pain relief. Among the effective approaches for pain management, there is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS). Health clinics and physical therapy centres use a professional TENS machine to reduce pain in their patients.
A professional TENS machine consists of electrodes connected by wires to attach to the skin. The electrodes deliver mild electrical currents to stimulate the sensory nerves. When the nociceptors detect damage and transmit information along the spinal cord to the brain, people sense pain. According to the Gate Control Theory of Pain, the spinal cord has a “neural gate” that controls the transmission of pain messages. The electrical impulses cause the nerves to close the pathway and block the pain signals from reaching the brain. Another function of TENS is to induce the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers. Endorphins produce pleasant or feel-good effects to counter the pain perception. Combining these two functions result in the overall reduction of pain.
Professional TENS Machine for Pain
Pain management comes in several forms. The common methods are taking analgesics, exercise, physical therapy, and electrotherapy via e-stim devices. Chronic pains are conditions that last for at least twelve weeks. They can result from progressive illnesses such as osteoarthritis, sciatica, fibromyalgia, or tendonitis. If you are experiencing chronic pain, a doctor’s diagnosis is crucial to determine the remedies. However, for extreme pain, surgery is the ultimate recourse. For mild to moderate symptoms, a professional TENS machine is suitable. TENS is best for relieving most acute and chronic pain. Additionally, TENS therapy can also reduce joint pain in the neck, shoulders, back, hips, and feet due to inactivity or overuse.
Acute pains are short-term pains from injuries like fractures or surgeries. Some pain comes and goes on its own. However, some pain may worsen over time when left untreated. A professional TENS machine like iTENS can help reduce the sharp and shooting sensations while the injury is healing. Moreover, TENS helps faster recovery by boosting blood circulation. Specifically, the gentle electrical pulses increase blood and oxygen flow to the affected area. The increased circulation brings nutrients needed for faster recovery. As a result, it can help relax sore muscles and damaged nerves. The wireless iTENS machine from iTENS Australia is a cost-efficient way to treat acute and chronic pain.
iTENS: Advantages of a Professional TENS Machine
A professional TENS machine comes in wired or wireless units. The iTENS is a wireless TENS unit with Bluetooth capabilities and adhesive gel pads. The device can pair with a smartphone app via a Bluetooth connection. Opting for wireless electrotherapy for pain relief can give the following benefits:
- Drug-free alternative – People want to manage chronic pain without the adverse side effects of oral medications. TENS provides external stimulus to reduce pain naturally.
- Non-invasive – A TENS machine attaches to the skin to deliver mild electrical impulses. The pads do not leave burn marks or lasting damage. Likewise, you can easily rinse the gel residue with warm water and mild soap. Unlike surgeries, TENS is risk-free and painless.
- Immediate feedback – Many people feel instant results while using a professional TENS machine. On the other hand, some feel long-lasting relief after the treatment.
- Convenient – The wireless iTENS is a portable device that you can carry or use anywhere hassle-free. The absence of wires let you place the pads easily and allow room for movement. You can use the iTENS while working or being active.
- Innovative – The iTENS merges wearable technology and TENS therapy. Through the iTENS companion app, you can access various pain programs. For example, you can select the treatment according to body parts or ailments.
- Adjustable Settings – Modulated frequencies, pulse rate, and pulse width can reduce many kinds of pain. The iTENS is a programmable TENS unit, enabling you to find the settings that work best for you.
TENS Pad Placement Guide
The right pad placement is crucial to the effectiveness of a professional TENS machine. Pain can originate anywhere in the body and radiate to other parts. When we feel pain, our instinct is to rub or hold the most affected area. Similarly, applying the TENS electrode pads will depend on the pain site or condition. Generally, position the electrode pad above or below the area to concentrate the currents to the centre of the treatment area. Moreover, place the pads first before turning on the device. Also, avoid placing the electrode pads directly on the joints like elbows, kneecaps, or ankles. Other areas to avoid are:
- Front or sides of the neck
- Directly over the spinal cord
- On open wounds
- Over varicose veins
- Irritated or broken skin
- Numb areas
Safety Uses of TENS
A professional TENS machine is generally safe and practicable for wide uses. It is also easy to operate and administer self-treatment. You can start at the lowest settings and gradually increase the frequency. You will feel a tingling sensation that feels strong but comfortable. Keep on adjusting the settings until you find the right amount of relief. Avoid turning the frequency too high or strong that it feels uncomfortable. Moreover, the iTENS is the world’s first true wireless TENS device with FDA clearance for pain relief. Therefore, you can purchase the iTENS over the counter without a necessary prescription. However, there are guidelines to follow to ensure safe treatment. A TENS machine is not applicable for some particular situations:
- During pregnancy, except in the early stages of labour
- Birthing pool or near a body of water
- While driving
- While sleeping
Moreover, people should also avoid using a professional TENS machine when they have:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Electronic implants like a cardiac pacemaker
- Heart conditions
Professional TENS Machine Availability
A professional TENS machine lets you manage pain any time and place. You can use TENS 2-3 times a day. Many people feel therapeutic relief for up to 18 hours. You can use a professional TENS machine solely or with other therapies like acupuncture or exercise. If you are looking for a TENS machine, your should consider its convenience, ease of use, and functionalities. The iTENS from iTENS Australia offers these benefits and more. You may also use the iTENS as an electric foot massager or relax the muscles. The iTENS pads are slim and flexible, allowing them to fit in most body parts. The pads are also reusable for the long-term usage. Replacement pads are available for when the pads start to wear down. If you have chronic ailments, you may consult your physician about the benefits of a TENS machine. The iTENS is available in pharmacies nationwide or online at iTENS Australia.