Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) electrotherapy is a highly effective method for pain management treatments. It uses a device called a TENS machine. Moreover, this device delivers small electrical currents using adhesive electrode pads to stimulate the nerves for instant pain relief. Traditional TENS machines commonly come with a bulky unit with wires attached to its electrode pads. Though effective for pain relief, these wired devices can have many disadvantages. These disadvantages include wire entanglement and breakage, which can cause electrical shorts. Furthermore, wired and bulky devices can also have portability and comfort issues. Luckily, iTENS offers one of, if not the best, wireless TENS machines available in the market. The iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit utilises effective TENS technology and pairs it with Bluetooth technology you can find in smartphones. Thus, it makes the iTENS from iTENS Australia a much more convenient device with many advantageous features.
How Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) Electrotherapy Works
TENS electrotherapy using the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit for pain management treatments works based on two theories of pain management. These are:
- The Gate Control Theory of Pain Management – this theory states that there is a kind of gating mechanism located in the spinal cord (central nervous system). These “neural gates” are where pain signals pass through into the brain when we typically feel pain. Moreover, electric stimulation using a TENS machine at a high pulse rate of 90 to 130 Hz can cause these gates to close. Closing the neural gates enables the blockage of pain signals. Thus, it negates the feeling of pain, causing instant pain relief for users. You can easily set the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit at these pulse rates to achieve this method of pain management.
- Increased Endorphin Production – this theory states that setting a TENS machine at a lower pulse rate of 2 to 5 Hz induces more endorphins in the body. Endorphins are the body’s natural pain killers. These chemicals act like morphine, reducing and sometimes completely negating the pain felt. Furthermore, medical professionals also call endorphins the “happy” or “feel-good” hormone. It is due to its effects causing improved mood and giving a general feeling of happiness or well-being. Likewise, users may also set the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit at these pulse rates to increase their endorphin production.
The iTENS Wireless Smartphone TENS Unit at iTENS Australia
The iTENS is the world’s first FDA-cleared, completely wireless smartphone TENS unit for pain relief. It works via an iOS or Android-based app but can also be manually set. Moreover, the iTENS smartphone TENS unit is for individuals who require a compact and highly portable pain management device. Its flexible and sleek design allows users to wear it discreetly under clothes. Nowadays, you can perform pain management more constantly with wireless TENS devices, even when you are on the go, doing chores, or exercising.
In addition, the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit can treat pain all over the body. It is made possible with its innovative adhesive electrode gel pad design. These interchangeable pads can effectively attach themselves all around the body with the help of their flexible wing-like electrodes. Furthermore, the flexible rotating wings allow users to have a full range of motion while gripping easily on specific areas. To illustrate:
- Firstly, the iTENS large wing electrodes can effectively treat larger and broader areas like the back, shoulder, thighs and legs.
- Secondly, the iTENS small wing electrodes can help treat smaller treatment areas like the ankle, knee, elbow, arm and wrist.
- Lastly, the iTENS long strip electrodes do not have the wing-like design the other pad sizes have. However, it is specifically designed to treat long length areas that radiate downwards, such as the sciatic nerve, IT band and tendons. Hence, it is ideal for health conditions like sciatica.
What Can the iTENS Wireless Smartphone TENS Unit Treat?
The iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit from iTENS Australia can handle several types of pain. Having interchangeable sizes allows this revolutionary device to treat all sorts of pain symptoms and health conditions. It can effectively treat:
- period pain
- labour pain
- neck pain
- back pain
- joint pain
In addition, you can find quick and easy relief from pain with the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit. It has several pre-set settings for specific conditions and body parts ready at a push of a button. For example, users may choose the ‘sciatica option’ for those who suffer from this health condition. This feature enables users to undergo proper TENS electrotherapy treatment immediately, even without the supervision of a medical professional. Alternatively, you may also set your settings manually through the device itself. This feature allows for more personalised treatments with better comfort and customisability for its users.
More Features of the iTENS Wireless Smartphone TENS Unit
Combining innovative technology with the positive results of TENS therapy could drastically help improve pain management. The iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit has rechargeable batteries that can provide up to a full day of use with a single charge. Moreover, their peel n’ stick gel pads are reusable and replaceable, lasting 15 to 20 uses. These gel pads are also hypoallergenic, allowing users to have the least likelihood of allergic reactions. Thus, the wireless technology of the iTENS enables users to perform pain management treatments with added convenience.
The iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit kit at iTENS Australia includes:
- 1 x Interchangeable Gen 2 iTENS Device (the white round part), which is the rechargeable battery and the Bluetooth receiver
- Small or Large (depending on the kit selected) G2 Wings with laser printed silver conductive surface (14.0cm x 4.4cm)
- One set of reusable and replaceable gel pads (15 – 20 applications)
- Charging dock with USB charging cable
- iTENS Quick start guide
- Sealable bag to store the wings and gel when not in use
iTENS: Guidelines for Safety and Usage
Using the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit for pain management treatment is safe, non-invasive and 100% drug-free. It has passed FDA clearance to be a safe and effective medical TENS therapy device for personal use. These devices do not have adverse side effects. Moreover, you can use them throughout the day. However, it would be best if you took 20-minute breaks in between TENS therapy sessions. Furthermore, you should also not use TENS machines if you are at the early stage of pregnancy, have epilepsy and have metal or electronic implants (like cardiac pacemakers).
Ensure that you follow the iTENS wireless smartphone TENS unit instructions for optimal treatment with your TENS therapy machine. Furthermore, make sure to clean the skin area where you want to place the adhesive electrode gel pads. Subsequently, you must ensure that your skin does not have wounds, infections, or irritations. Finally, make sure to adhere to proper electrode pad placement. You can refer to the pre-set settings on the iTENS app, but it should generally be at either side of the pain point.